10. Educated

 




 From book cover and title, I thought, "Ok, this book is a typical self improvement". And from title "Educated" drove me to think the lesson of this book is "Get education over life". Furthermore, I don't like memoir. Even, I've never read a memoir in my life. Then, Why I chose this book? It's simple. I want to start new challenge which was reading English book. And there were good chance for starting that. One of my favorite 'Youtuber', teaching English, uploaded the a month challenge of reading English book that because I read this. 

 I was just reading the book following schedule she made for us. From first chapter, I realized that "This is not a typical self improvement book nor boring memoir". Author, Tara Westover, was growing up amazingly special family conditions and environment. She didn't get any public education(her first public education agency is the university), medical service and even birth registration. But now, she graduated doctor degree and became famous author too. 

 Honestly, her families, especially her parents, are not a bad people. But I don't know, in objective point of view she was growing up in abused environment. However, as I think this is not a her success story from harsh childhood. Let's talk about this more detail.

Before start to talk, make it clear that I don't have any bad emotions or intention to  Mormon. 

 Her family believes Mormon deeply. For me ,as an Asian guy, I don't know Mormon well. So I don't want to mention about this more, but the point is her family, especially her dad really goes into Mormon. That because he didn't report his children, and he don't believe government ever. But, he loves his family. This is the important thing. He loves his children. And in the middle of the book, author implies he might have mental illness. If so, he is not truly a child abuser. He is also one of the victims. I'm not defending his behaviors, which were really wrong and cruel things. 

Victims of what? That is 'ignorance'. Wrong educated. I know, one of the sin is the ignorance. But, once you are sucked into 'ignorance swamp' it's almost impossible to come out by yourself. All of your thinking are fossilized, and you are scouting only the information of what you believe, which is called "confirmation bias". And unfortunately, modern technology is so developed that recommend only the things you like. 

댓글 쓰기

0 댓글